[sane-devel] No devices available

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:15:57 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:02:09AM +1100, Barry Kirsten wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:28, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 11:05:42AM +1100, Barry Kirsten wrote:
> > > I can't get xsane to recognise my Canoscan 600 scanner under Debian 3.0.
> >
> > Try "SANE_DEBUG_CANON=255 scanimage -L" to get more debug information.
> >
> debian:/home/barry# SANE_DEBUG_CANON=255 scanimage -L
[looks ok]

> This seems OK to me - the scanner is recognised by sane, and there are no
> error messages.

Fine :-)

> > Did you put /dev/sg1 in canon.conf or set a link /dev/scanner to
> > /dev/sg1? I think that's necessary for the canon backend.
>
> Yes, /dev/sg1 and /dev/scanner are in canon.conf and I have made links
> between the two. I also have /dev/sg1 and /usr/bin/xsane in
> /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf.
>
> Everything seems ready to go, but it doesn't. I'm puzzled. Any help or
> suggestions much appreciated.

Well, what does happen when you try to scan? Try scanimage >image.pnm.
If that doesn't work, set the debug variable. Do the same for xsane.
Do you use both xsane and scanimage as the same user? Otherwise there
may be permission problems. I only one version of SANE installed?
Otherwise xsane may use the other one.