[sane-devel] No devices available

Barry Kirsten bjkirsten@bigpond.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:05:09 +1100

Hi Henning,

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:15, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Well, what does happen when you try to scan? Try scanimage >image.pnm.
> If that doesn't work, set the debug variable. Do the same for xsane.
> Do you use both xsane and scanimage as the same user? Otherwise there
> may be permission problems. I only one version of SANE installed?
> Otherwise xsane may use the other one.

scanimage works, but only when run as root. When I try scanimage as a normal
user I get the message: scanimage: no SANE devices found. This is similar to
when I try to start xsane from KDE as normal user: xsane: no devices found.

Note...sane and xsane are set up for anyone to execute, so not a permission
problem.

There is certainly only one copy of xsane running. To be certain I tried
removing it with apt-get remove twice, (and also for sane on its own) and got
nothing.

I think this is part of the problem...when I try to start xsane as root, I
get:

debian:/home/barry# xsane
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

I'm out of my depth here. Is this a problem with permissions/access somewhere
in X? (Don't forget, I was root when starting xsane from terminal.) Also the
version of xsane I'm using is 0.84-2 from the Debian stable CDs.

Many thanks for your help,
Barry