[sane-devel] Re: Visioneer 5800?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett@verizon.net
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:29:58 -0400

On Saturday 05 July 2003 11:54, jollyprince@juno.com wrote:
>I have a Visioneer 5800 with a Realtek RTS8801C chip.  Without
> cooperation from either company, is there any hope of creating a
> backend for this product?  What productive course of action can I
> take, if any?

I'd hate to rain on your parade, but even if you do get it working
with sane, if you have a warranty problem with that unit, do NOT even
mention to the store clerk or on the warranty form that you have been
using it with linux.  If you do, the claim will be denied out of hand
because that is a memorex house branded unit, and memorex is one of
the worst linux haters about.  In my case, even though I could demo
that it didn't work on a windows box either, the claim was denied
because I'm honest and I'd mentioned linux.  Something linux did
wrecked it, nothing to do with the lightning strike that took out its
parallel port, was their response.  The fact thay I also lost a modem
and a telephone in the same strike somehow wasn't germain to my
claim.  If you just bought it, return it and get an Epson, like the
1260u, which I think works just fine, my 1250u sure does.

After that experience (they were snotty has all get out on the phone),
I haven't bought anything I could trace back to memorex.  Their loss
IMO, and my 'something learned' for the day.

[snip Hennings msg since my reply is OT]

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M