[sane-devel] Canon D660u uses Merlin chipset (-->plustek?)

Sat, 5 Jul 2003 18:14:58 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 03:54:50PM +0000, jollyprince@juno.com wrote:
> I have a Visioneer 5800 with a Realtek RTS8801C chip.

We know, you have mentioned that fact more than once :-)
But what's the connection to the article about the Canon D660u you are
responding to? As you yoursef wrote, the visioneer 5800 uses a
Realtek, not a National Semiconductor chip.

> Without cooperation from either company,

Have you already asked Realtek about programming information for that
chip? What about Visioneer?

> is there any hope of creating a backend for this product?  What
> productive course of action can I take, if any?

Have you read the documentation you have been ponited, to? E.g.
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html
and
doc/backend-writing.txt?

In your case I'd start with trying to capture the USB commands send to
the scanner using one of the methods explained in the docu.

You know that the HP ScanJet 3530C uses the same (similar?) chip? See
http://www.cscs.ch/~tack/hp3530.html . Maybe you can work together?