[sane-devel] "gamma" and "bayer" ? What are they?

Laurent-jan ljm@xs4all.nl
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:53:52 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 07:51:40PM -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:
>>What are "gamma" 
> Very much simplified: A gamma table is used to transfer the color
> space used by your input device (scanner, camera) to the color space
> of your output device (display, printer). A gamma value (or factor)
> can be used to create a gamma table.
> Search for "gamma table" and "gamma factor" at google and you'll find
> lots of documentation.

There is a link in the SANE-FAQ to the colorspace FAQ. If you want to 
know more about gamma, look at Carles Poynton's FAQs on color and gamma.

>>and "bayer"

Bayer is a dithering algoritm; it uses fixed paterns. For an example of 
the 4x4 patterns see:

(c) ljm @ xs4all . nl.  No part of this copyright message may be
reproduced, read or seen, dead or alive or by any means, including
but not limited to telepathy  without the benevolence of the author.