[sane-devel] Query

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:07:51 +1000

Quoting Homer <homer_889@hotmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I know it's a really silly question but I'd thought I'd ask it anyway. I'm
> using mandrake 9.1 and the Xsane package will detect and setup my canon
> N640P. It will run as root but not as my normal user. I've actually scanned
> from root but the scanner won't detect from user.

Henning's answer was half right :)

This is actually a parallel scanner, but the fix is still permissions.  I assume
Mandrake 9.1 is a 2.4 distro with ppdev enabled so I'll assume you have
/dev/parport*.
Check the permissions on /dev/parport*.. they will probably look something like
this.

[stauff@cheesypoof stauff]$ ls -l /dev/parport*
crw-rw----    1 root     lp        99,   0 Jun 15  2002 /dev/parport0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp        99,   1 Jun 15  2002 /dev/parport1

If I remember rightly mdk9 uses devfs so it actually won't look exactly like
this.. they may be symlinks to somewhere else in /dev (in which case you should
check the permissions on the targets)

They will likely be owned by the "lp" group (as these ones are), so for the
quick fix you can just do:

adduser my_username lp

Then log out and log back in, and you should be able to scan as non-root.  You
should add all the users you want to be able to scan to this group.

Cheers,

- Matthew Duggan