[sane-devel] HP 7450C USB scanner failure with ADF

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:19:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:52:40 +0200,
    Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> I have to admitt that I'm a bit confused by the backend. It uses USB
> interrupt transfers to get the status of the scanner. However that
> only works with libusb, not the kernel scanner driver. So I don't
> really know why the backend lists "usb /dev/ubs/scanner" in
> avision.conf. Maybe the maintainer can enlighten me :-)

Yes - the scanner Linux driver is not supported. The line in the
avision.conf might only silpped in from my initial tests with the
scanner driver. I'll remove it soon.

> =

> Usually the config files list all devices and device files the backen=
> supports. So it doesn't matter if there are additional ones.
> =

> The backend checks for all USB devices anymway, I don't think the
> entries in avsion.conf are necessary at all.

Yes - the entries are only an example how to add IDs for test reasons
when new scanners are out ...

> > I'll keep trying.  I have just done =

> > modprobe scanner vendor=3D0x0001  product=3D0x0002,
> =

> These vendor and product ids are most probably wrong. If the scanner
> driver works at all, try something like this:
> rmmod scanner
> modprobe scanner vendor=3D0x03f0 product=3D0x0801

The scanner driver does not work.

> That doesn't look good. Your scanner doesn't seem to accept any input=

> on any endpoint (bulk in, out and interrupt). =

> =

> I recommend to unplug/replug your scanner before any test. Otherwise
> it may be confuded by eralier tests.

It needs to be powerer off to loose all it's state.

> Is loaded but doesn't know about your scanner.
> =

> Bye,
>   Henning

Thanks for the answering the questions Henning - when I'm as always
out of time ;-)

Sincerely yours,
  Ren=E9 Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer