[sane-devel] Redhat 9 and XSane .89

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Jun 8 10:35:29 BST 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:48:43PM -0700, Philip M Dunton wrote:
> Since Redhat is such a popular distribution I figured someone else already had
> seen this anomalous behavior.  I had zero problems after installing RH 8.

Which anomalous behaviour? I asked what you really mean but you didn't
answer that part of the mail. As Tim Waugh says xsane is not started
on login by default, I don't really know what's going on if you don't
give details.

I haven't heard of any RedHat-specific problems that look like yours.
If I had, I'd have said so in may response.

> I was hoping for a quick answer.

Well, it took only some hours.

> I know how to trouble-shoot.  The first computer I ever got to play with was
> made by an outfit named "Univac."

I'm impressed (really!).

> Believe me I won't take the time to work out bugs in some else's software.

Ok. Nobody asked you to do. Just for the record, I don't know of any
current bug in sane-backends that could cause your problem.

As you didn't give any details on what backend you are using you may
not be using any part of sane-backends at all (but the stuff from
Epson Kowa). If you don't care to describe what software you are
using, how should we help?

> I am too adept at putting them in my own work.

Ok. So just ask someone to fix your installation for money. Maybe
someone from Redhat? He'll try to find out the necessary information
without asking a single dump question to you.

> An easy solution for me is to back up to RH 8.  Fortunately the
> operation of a scanner isn't a priority just now, merely a token of
> the stability of the system as a whole.

> Geez, you Linux types need to get a grip.

Ah, why didn't you put that on top of your mail? Or better don't write
an email to the devlopers of a software about a bug that may not even
exist in that software? So you are just trolling and don't want any
response at all? Why should anyone help you?

By the way: SANE is not Linux.

Oh well, that long experience with computers and you haven't learned
basic social stuff and even how to write an email to a list (cc added).