[sane-devel] Scsi problem with Solaris 2.6

Henrik Schmidt hbs at ks.informatik.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jun 26 10:45:02 BST 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hm, maybe the SCSI buffer is too big? Try setting the environment
> variable  SANE_SG_BUFFER_SIZE to e.g. 32768.

This didn't help.

> > I checked the scanner on a Windows computer and it did work. I checked it
> > on another computer with sane and it failed too.
>
> Also with Solaris? Same SCSI controller?

Yes.

> At least for Solaris/x86 we have a positive report about a SCSI
> scanner working (with SANE 1.0.9).
>
> > I had it running some a ago. When I moved the computer to a different
> > location I updated sane and it failed to work afterwards. Going back to
> > older sane backend versions (up to 1.0.8) didn't help either.
>
> Then it doesn't look like a SANE problem, does it?

I don't know. As the scg driver is working on the computer (I can use a
cdrecorder with cdrecord) and the scanner is working too my rough guess
was that sane might be involved.

> > I tried to contact both the microtek backend coder as well as the contact
> > in README.solaris but got no reply.
>
> Matthew Marjanovic posted some days ago on this list. Maybe you can
> try it again?

Ok, will try. Here is the critical section of the debug output from
xscanimage :

[microtek] .download_gamma...
[microtek] .download_gamma:  4096 entries of 2 bytes, max 255
[microtek] .download_gamma: by default
[microtek] .mode_select 8...
[microtek] .mode_select:  pap_len: 8399
[microtek] .mode_select_1 8...
[microtek] .wait_ready 8...
[microtek] .start_scan...
[microtek] .get_scan_status 8...
[microtek] get_scan_status(6): 0, 300, 504  -> #0
[microtek] >  0 2c  1 f8  1  0
[microtek] Scan Param:
[microtek] pix bpl: 894    hdr bpl: 6   ppl: 298
[microtek] undel bytes: 450576   unscan lines: 504   planes: 3
[microtek] dest bpl: 894   dest ppl: 298  aspect: 1.000000
[microtek] sane_get_parameters...
[microtek] sane_set_io_mode...
[microtek] sane_read...
[microtek] read_from_scanner...
[microtek] .get_scan_status 8...
[microtek] get_scan_status(6): 0, 300, 504  -> #0
[microtek] >  0 2c  1 f8  1  0
[microtek] read_from_scanner: gss busy, linewidth, remaining:  0, 300, 504
[microtek] sane_read:  max_scsi: 145, rem: 504, nlines: 145
[microtek] .read_scan_data...
[microtek] sane_read:  bad read_scan_data!
[microtek] sane_read:  read_from_scanner failed.
[microtek] end_scan...
[microtek] .stop_scan...
[sanei_scsi] sanei_scsi_cmd 1b: timeout