[sane-devel] Color not consistent or correct

ionmich@indiainfo.com ionmich@indiainfo.com
Sun, 02 Mar 2003 08:56:35 +0530

Hello Henning,

In your previous message you said:-

>Scanner - Epson Perfection 1250. Do you use the plustek or
>Epson Kowa backend?

I am using the plustek backend.

>What's the difference between you xsane and xscanimage installations?
>Did you install one of them from source and the other from RPM?

If xscanimage is part of sane-frontends-1.0.10.tar.gz then they
were both installed from source.

>Check the "/usr/local/lib" is in /etc/ld.so.conf.

It was not. The reference was to "/usr/lib". I changed it to
"/usr/local/lib". I invoked xscanimage. I got the same error
message...xscanimage: error while loading shared libraries:
libsane.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory.

>What happens if you don't use XSane's automatic film setting
>but set up the colors manually? I.e. use the invert button and
>change the gamma/brightness for the colors so the image looks
>correctly? I'm trying to find out if it's a xsane or backend
>problem.

I'm not sure I understood your instruction, but here is what I
did. I set it to negative (document source), Fuji negative
(source medium type) and prescanned. The prescan came out
pretty close to real life. I then manually adjusted the gamma
etc. to make the preview look as close as possible to real
life. When I final scanned I got a very different scan from the
preview (saturated, extreme reds etc.) but subsequent scans
were identical. This is a change.

I then set it to transparency, full color range, reverse and
prescanned. The resulting pre-scan was too washed out to be
adjustable. This makes sense as transparencies are always
darker than  negatives.

I know nothing about scanning software but I find it significant
that if I prescan several times without touching any other
buttons etc. I get scans of different colors different contrast
etc.

>> Would a screen shot of the scan results be of any help?

>Put it on a web page and send a link to sane-devel.

Sorry, I don't have a parking spot for the images.

Does any of this help?

Ion

http://www.indiainfo.com
Now with POP3/SMTP access for only US$14.95/yr