[sane-devel] How to combine scanned images together and print them as a file

Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:08:28 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:36:15PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> I think that your alternative suggestion may suit my application.  I can
> save the scanned images as pnm, bmp, etc format and keep them in the
> same directory.  What I need is a tool to stack all images together to
> form a file with each image on separate page and then print them as pdf
> file.

That works with convert like I described. If it complains about the
images, they are most probably corrupt. Maybe an xsane/backend problem.

What I don't understand: do you want to print the resulting file or do
you want to get a PDF? While PDF and postscript are similar,
postscript is usually used for pronting.

> I came from Windows, PageKeeper or OmniPager or PaperPort will do
> the job and then print all images to a pdf file forming a book.  They
> also have simple graphic edition tools.

Well, how much simpler can you do that doing your whole task in one
line in some seconds? :-)

> Goggle search brought me to following site;
> http://www.trilon.com/xv/xv.html
>
> Now I have  xv-3.10a-13.i386.rpm  and  xv-3.10a.tar.gz  downloaded.  But
> from its document I am not quite sure whether xv is a freeware under GNU
> licence or a proprietory application.

It's quite clear in my opinion. Did you read
http://www.trilon.com/xv/pricing.html? It's shareware and costs 25$ if
you like it :-) For commercial use, you must register.

Try it and read the documentation. Maybe seraching at freshmeat.net
also finds applications that fit your needs.