[sane-devel] Re: Updating sane-backends

T. Ribbrock emgaron@gmx.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:30:19 +0100

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:58:22PM -0500, Richard M. Teitel wrote:
> Thank you for the response and the offer. Unfortunately, I am running
> RHL8.0. Mr. Gates taught me to beware of backward compatibility issues,
> so I'm a little leary of installing those rpms.

No, you shouldn't install the RPMs (I'd almost be surprised if rpm let
you), but you can take the SRPMs (Source RPMs) and rebuild them for
RHL 8.0. Most likely, it's as easy as

rpm --rebuild some.rpm

then install the resulting RPMs. (it sure works the other way round (i.e.
RH8.0 -> RH7.3) 95% of the time).

It's definitely a *much* cleaner solution than overwriting RPM based
files with tarball based files.

Cheerio,

Thomas
                Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org