[sane-devel] No access to an Vobis Highscreen HS 5c scanner

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:06:57 +0100

dirk pankonin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I cannot use my scanner from Vobis/HighScreen featured by Linotype-Hell
> signed as "HS 5c". No problem to bind in the AVA1505ae SCSI-ISA card with
> modprobe. A cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows:
>
>  Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>      Vendor: LinoHelm Model: Ogfice ! ! ! ! ! Rev: V3.1
>      Type:    Scanner                                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Looks like a SCSI problem. The correct vendor name is most likely
"LinoHell" and the model name "Office", so two bytes have bit 0 wrongly
set: 'f' (0x66) is replaced by 'g' (0x67) and 'l' (0x6C) is replaced by
'm' (0x6D). The '!' (0x21) in the model name should probably be spaces
(0x20).

Please check the "usual SCSI stuff" (cables, termination). Or try to
connect the scanner to another host adapter. But better disconnect the
hard disks from that adapter to avoid data loss...

Abel