[sane-devel] Erratic connection of frontends to scanner

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Mar 18 21:44:05 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:51:48PM +0000, Alisdair wrote:
> However, although Xsane/scanimage have been generally communicating fine
> with the backend things do not seem to be very predictable.

So the error comes up only sometimes?

Do you also use Windows?

> Right now scanimage returns:
> 	[snapscan] Cannot open firmware file
> 	/usr/local/etc/sane.d/Snape20.bin

Is your firmwarefile named "Snape20.bin" and is in
"/usr/local/etc/sane.d/"?

> and Xsane returns:
> 	Failed to open snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0
> 	Invalid argument

If you start xsane from the command line (shell), soes it pront the
same debug messages as scanimage? If it doesn't, something with your
SANE installation is wrong. Maybe you have two different versions of
SANE (e.g. one in /us and one in /usr/local)?

> This happened a few days ago and then suddenly everything was working fine,
> though I had done nothing. Now I'm back here again, and I haven't a clue
> I'm afraid.

If you use the scanner with other operating systems maybe the correct
firmware was already uploaded by that operating system? I don't know
if that can happen with the snapscan backend.

If that's not the problem, when did it stop working? After the first
reboot? Is the scanner found by sane-find-scanner?