[sane-devel] scsi scanner on usb port?

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Mon Mar 31 17:10:02 BST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:04:46AM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
> You would need a sort of a USB <-> SCSI adapter on the scanner side,
> which is supported by a driver of the Linux kernel. This driver would
> have to register the "USB-tunnel-connected" SCSI scanner in the Linux
> SCSI system and it would have to handle the communication betwwen the
> Linux box and the scanner. In order to do that, it would have to know,
> how the USB/SCSI converter works. There seem to exist two such drivers
> -- but I believe that these are special drivers for Microtek resp. HP
> scanners.

I think these drivers are just for normal USB scanners that happen to
use a SCSI-over-USB protocoll. This could be done in userspace also
(done in the avision backend some days before).

I don't know if such thing exist but wouldn't a general SCSI
controller work that has an usb connector instead being a PCI card?