[sane-devel] Why is the background of the scanned image not a constant grayscale

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Tue, 13 May 2003 13:11:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Peter Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I still do not quite understand. When I tried to scan the same image using
> Twain, there was no gray background. What could be the reason?

thats interesting. when you scan a white sheet of paper via twain and
sane, is the sane one more gray? if so, i bet the twain driver is
interpolating gamma on the whole of the scan or bumping the contrast up,
and shifting the light gray to white.

> And I could not find the option to set the option brightness/contrast when I
> ran: scanimage --help -d fujitsu:/dev/usb/scanner0.

you did not find it because it is not there. this would have to be done in
software, cause the scanner does not provide hardware ability to do this.
try setting up some script to do b/c adjustments on the image from the
unix command line.

allan