[sane-devel] Spot ScanTak 2c/3c

Wed, 14 May 2003 11:06:44 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 08:12:12AM +0300, Alex wrote:
> Answer, please a question. Why the developers of a package SANE have
> not included support of scanners ScanTak 2c/3c of firm Spot Technology.

That's easy: I didn't know that there is a backend for that scanner
already. If there is one and it conforms to our guidelines, we'll be
happy to include it.

> In spite of the fact that firm-manufacturer already is not present,
> rather plenty of similar scanners all still is on a service at the
> users. And as shows search on appropriate forums, many from the users
> have problems for want of to attempt to force these scanners to work in
> OS Linux. By one from such users am also I.

So there are plenty of people who support you in writing the backend.
You'll get help concerning SANE standard issues or other questions on
this list but basically it's up to you or any other owner of such a
scanner to write the backend. See also:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html

> These scanners have the own SCSI-adapter (16 bit ISA), but visually to
> determine a type chipset it is not obviously possible. Programm the
> utilities (for example, pnpdump from Linux Red Hat 7.3 or ISA
> Configuration Utility from MS DOS6.22) - are powerless. They refuse
> even to find the appropriate adapter, though in User's Manual to the
> scanner is written:

To make sure that it's really a SCSI card you could connect the
scanner to a "real" SCSI adapter an check if it's detected.

> Further I in a research of this problem was not advanced and I hope to
> receive the help from you, respected developers SANE.

Until there is a backend, I'll add these scanners to our lists as
"unsupported".