[sane-devel] gamma table value

F J Brooks F J Brooks" <fred@redgrave.screaming.net
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:55:20 +0100

On Thursday, May 15, 2003 "Rene Rebe" <rene.rebe@gmx.net> wrote:

>When you have read all this documents, why havent't you contacted the
>Avision backend author (me) or choosed a subject for your mail which
>I can easily pick up ("gamma table values" -> "avision backend does
>not work properly"). I do not have the time to read any mail on the
>internet and also not to read all from this list ...

Dear Rene

I'm very, very sorry that I have obviously upset you by not contacting you
direct with my problem. First, being a new newbie, I didn't like to bother
you. Second, I saw somewhere that you were threatening dire consequences for
anyone who sent you unsolicited emails. Perhaps I have totally misunderstood
the situation. As I say, I'm very sorry.

On your point re the subject of my email: I originally called it
'gamma-table value' because that was the subject of the error message and I
thought that it might ring a bell with someone. In any event, I had no idea
that it was anything to do with the Avision backend (has it??) as the error
message appeared when I clicked the 'Scan' button on my scanning window. In
my ignorance, I assumed that, as it came at that time, it must be something
to do with the 'xscanimage' function (?). Someone else added the 'Avision
backend' bit. Again, my apologies if, unintentionally, I have misled you.

>Can you run these commands (in the same terminal on your desktop) and
>mail me the output? Please power-cycle the scanner so that it is in a
>clean state!

>export SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7
>scanimage -L
>scanimage -l 5mm -t 5mm -x 15mm -y 15mm  > scanner-name.png

Right, so I ran these commands - both as root and as user - as I didn't know
which you wanted. These are extracts from my log:

'Thursday 15 May.logged in as root:
Response to commands:

F jBrooks:/home/fredjb # export SAN_DEBUG_AVISION=7
F jBrooks:/home/fredjb # scanimage -L

'No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation which
came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).'

FJBrooks:/home/fredjb # scanimage -l 5mm -t 5mm -x 15mm -y 15mm >
scanner-name.png

Response:

'scanimage: No SANE devices found'

Then logged in as user:

fredjb@F jBrooks: > export SAN~DEBUG-AVISION=7
fredjb@F jBrooks: > scanimage -L

I was presented with what appeared to be hundreds of lines of info which I
cannot possibly send you (unless you wish) as it is much too big a file. I
have extracted what, to my untutored eye, seemed to be the most interesting
bits.
It started with this:

'[sanei-debug] Setting debug level of avision to 7.
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane-init: config file line 1: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "#option disable-gamma-table"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 2: ignoring comment line'

Then, a bit later, this:

'[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi FCPA"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 10: trying to attach 'scsi FCPA.
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi MINOL TA"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 11: trying to attach 'scsi MINOL TA.
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi MITSBISH MCA-S600C"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 12: trying to attach 'scsi MITSBISH
MCA-S600C'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi MITSBISH MCA-SS600"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 13: trying to attach 'scsi MITSBISH
MCA-SS600.
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi HP"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 14: trying to attach 'scsi Hp.
[avision] attach: (Version: 1.0 Build: 55)
[avision] attach: opening {dev{sg2
[avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
[avision] attach: Inquiry gives mfg=HP, model=Scanjet 5300C, product
revision=6.00.
[avision] FOUND'

Part-way thru, I got:

'[avision] attach: [8-15] Vendor id.: "HP"
[avision] attach: [16-31] Product id.: "Scanjet 5300C "
[avision] attach: [32-35] Product rev.: "6.00"
[avision] attach: [36] Bitfield: ADF 3-pass color RGB-COLOR-PLANE
[avision] attach: [37] Optical res.: 600 dpi
[avision] attach: [38] Maximum res.: 1200 dpi
[avision] attach: [39] Bitfield1:  Q_SCAN EXTENDET_RES NEW_PROTOCOL
[avision] attach: [40-41] X res. in gray: 1200 dpi
[avision] attach: [42-43] Y res. in gray: 1200 dpi
[avision] attach: [44-45] X res. in color: 2400 dpi
[avision] attach: [46-47] Y res. in color: 2400 dpi
[avision] attach: [48-49] USB max read: 0'

Towards the end, I got:

'[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi hp"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 15: trying to attach 'scsi hp'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane-init: config file line 16: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "/dev/scanner"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 17: trying to attach '/dev/scanner'
[avision] attach: (Version: 1.0 Build: 55)
[avision] attach: opening /dev/scanner
[avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
[avision] attach: Inquiry gives mfg=HP, model=Scanjet 5300C, product
revision=6.00.
[avision] FOUND'

Then, at the end:

'[avision] sane-init: parsing config line ""
[avision] sane-init: config file line 18: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane-get_devices:
device 'avision:/dev/scanner' is a Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5300C flatbed
scanner
device 'avision:/dev/sg2' is a Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5300C flatbed scanner
[avision] sane-exit:
fredjb@F jBrooks:...>'

fredjb@FJBrooks:~> scanimage -l 5mm -x 15mm -y 15mm > scanner-name.png

It started off like this:

'[sanei-debug] Setting debug level of avision to 7.
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line ''''
[avision] sane-init: config file line 1: ignoring empty line
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "#option disable-gamma-table"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 2: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "#option disable-calibration"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 3: ignoring comment line
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "#option oId-calibration"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 4: ignoring comment line'

Then, a bit later:

'[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi AVISION"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 9: trying to attach 'scsi AVISION'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi FCPA"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 10: trying to attach 'scsi FCPA'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi MINOLT A"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 11: trying to attach 'scsi MINOLTA'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line 'Iscsi MITSBISH MCA-S600C"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 12: trying to attach 'scsi MITSBISH
MCA-S600C'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line 'Iscsi MITSBISH MCA-SS600'1
[avision] sane~nit: config file line 13: trying to attach 'scsi MITSBISH
MCA-SS600'
[avision] sane-init: parsing config line "scsi HP"
[avision] sane-init: config file line 14: trying to attach 'scsi HP'
[avision] attach: (Version: 1.0 Build: 55)
[avision] attach: opening /dev/sg2
[avision] attach: sending INQUIRY
[avision] attach: Inquiry gives mfg=HP, model=ScanJet 5300C, product
revision=6.00.
[avision] FOUND
[avision] attach: raw data:
[avision] [0] 00000110b 6o 6d 6x
[avision] [1] 10000000b 200o 128d 80x
[avision] [2] 00000010b 2o 2d 2x'

...and finished up like this:

'[avision] sane_cancel
[avision] sane_close'

I trust that these extracts are of some use to you.

Turning to XScan:

>Replacing the icon? Sure it is possible. Simply right-click and select
>properties and change the command to xsane ... (if I guess correct -
>do not have SuSE anywhere ...)

I followed your advice and amended the command to be
$/usr/local/bin/xsane (which was the response to my $whereis xsane enquiry).

Then I (left)-clicked my 'Scanner' icon and: EUREKA!! up came the XSane
introductory window, which - after the licence agreement - invited me to
choose between: 'Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300C flatbed scanner
[avision:/dev/scanner]' and 'Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5300C flatbed scanner
[avision:/dev/sg2]. I chose the former and, after some fiddling, managed to
get an image in the Viewer window. I couldn't, however, get it to print, but
as I haven't yet had time to set it up, I suppose that's not surprising.

However, this seems to me to be real progress - so you must excuse me if I'm
just a little 'cock-a-hoop'!

I'll be interested in what you have to say, Rene.

In the meantime, best wishes to you - and my apologies again for my faux
pas.

Fred