[sane-devel] can not initialize sane when linux system booting up

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Mon, 19 May 2003 20:36:45 +0200

On Monday 19 May 2003 14:14, T.M.Thanh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Sane can't initialize my Acer 640 BU Scanner when linux system
> booting up (I use RED HAT 9 and Mandrake 9.1). If I want to run my
> scanner on Linux, I have to turn it on and restart my system to
> Windows then reboot system to Linux and run XSane. Or I have to
> turn it on and boot into Windows then reboot into Linux. That's my
> workarround :-)
> Could any body help me ?

You need to specify the correct firmware file in snapscan.conf. Please
read the documentation concerning USB scanner firmware on
http://snapscan.sourceforge.net .

If you boot into windows the firmware file is downloaded to the
scanner from your windows scanning application. Back in Linux the
snapscan backend will detect that the firmware is up to date and
don't attempt a download. If you power-cycle your scanner the
firmware has to be downloaded again, which is only possible if you
give the correct firmware file in snapscan.conf.

-Oliver