[sane-devel] well, I'm a retrurning user of sane... got some questions.

Brian K. White brian@aljex.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 09:42:21 -0400

technomage wrote:

> ok,
> its been a very long time since I have been a part of this group.
> I'm glad to be back.
>
> some issues have arisin and I'd like a little help troubleshooting them.
>
> it seems I can get sane working fine (using the Mustek Paragon II CD backend)
> but I can't get saned working.
>
> I placed a saned file under the xinet.d folder complete with the details from
> the saned man page. I cannot report any success in it allowing hosts from
> other boxes in my lan to connect. I have restarted xinetd to make sure things
> were go (chkconfig reports saned is on but ps aex |grep saned reports that
> there is no process under that name).
>
> if I manually run saned, I can connect fine until I quite the application on
> the remote machine (then saned quits). I'd like it to remain in memory and
> offer the service. anything I am missing?
>
> Technomage

the whole point of inetd (and later xinetd) is that the services
themselves do not run all the time, only the one service, inetd (or
xinetd) runs, listening on all the ports of all the services that have
been configured in it. When something tries to open a port it recognizes,
it starts up the appropriate service to service that one request and then
the service goes away again.

what tcp port does saned work on?
is that port listed in /etc/services?
.. I just looked at man saned and see it's port 6566, so,
does /etc/services have a line like this?

sane 6566/tcp

run netstat -a |less
The top of this output shows all the ports that your box is listening on,
and all the ports that currently have active connections.
Is the saned port listed in there as "... *.* ... LISTEN"

did you try running "saned -d" manually? this runs it in a manner where
saned itself does stay running, listening on the saned tcp port and debug
info will show on the session where you ran it until you ctrl-c in that
session. This will probably fail if saned is in fact correctly configured
in xinetd because xinetd is already "occupying" the saned port and no
other program can listen on that port until xinetd gives it up. you can
turn off xinetd, or temporarily disable the saned config and restart
xinetd. Then try saned -d (then try to connect)

what are the contents of saned.conf?
are the names/ip's listed in there really how your box resolves the
various machines that try to connect?
try putting a single "+" on a line by itself in saned.conf, since (you
didn't say but I will presume) this is a linux box and probably you are
running tcpd to block unsafe hosts from touching your box anyway.
(/etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny)

did you copy the sample xinetd file from the saned man page verbatim? If
so, is there any such user and group as "saned" or did you change those to
show names that exist on your box?

--
Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani