[sane-devel] Umax Astra 2200 SCSI/USB

Fri, 23 May 2003 17:31:04 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:30:39PM +0200, blub wrote:
> I tried xsane with my Scanner connecete to SCSI or USB. When I run the
> "preview" the scanner works even if the preview is very bad. But when I
> push "SCAN" the scanner starts, moves a view centimeters (I think up to the
> point where the scanner starts to calibrate) and than the whole system
> crashes (connectet to SCSI) even the "Num" key stops working.

Looks like a kernel bug. Probably in the SCSI driver? Try scanimage at
the command line (CRTL-ALT-F1, not an xterm). E.g. scanimage >image.pnm.
Do you get messages from the kernel in this case?

> When connectet to the USB, only Xsane freezes. When I dissconnect the
> scanner from the powersupply, than the System freezes.

That last one may be also a kernel bug. It occurs if you unplug the
scanner and then try to read from or write to it.

Please show us log files for the xsane freeze, e.g.
SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255 xsane 2>log
And now try to get the freeze.

The debug messages are in the file "log".

> Where to search the error. I am us linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 kernel and sane-
> backends 1.0.11 sane-frontends 1.0.10 xsane 0.90

You can try to use libusb instead of the kernel USB scanner driver.
But as both USB and SCSI fail, tehre may be also a problem with the
backend.