[sane-devel] Umax Astra 2200 SCSI/USB

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Fri, 23 May 2003 13:42:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:30:39PM +0200, blub wrote:
> > I tried xsane with my Scanner connecete to SCSI or USB. When I run the
> > "preview" the scanner works even if the preview is very bad. But when I
> > push "SCAN" the scanner starts, moves a view centimeters (I think up to the
> > point where the scanner starts to calibrate) and than the whole system
> > crashes (connectet to SCSI) even the "Num" key stops working.

what scsi card do you use? i had a similar problem with my fujitsu and hp
scanners and my AMD 53c974 scsi card (manufactured by tekram, they call it
the dc-390)

i solved this problem by changing the scsi driver in the linux kernel.
there are two drivers for this card, tmscsim.o and AM53C974.o

changing to the second one fixed my problem.

several other scsi cards have multiple drivers (there are 3 for the
ncr/symbios/lsi 800 series) you might try changing yours if possible.

running the latest stable kernel is also a good idea.

allan