[sane-devel] Reflecta digitdia 3600 slide scanner

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 19:14:27 +0100

Thomas,

> today I couldn't resist and ordered such a reflecta scanner.
> Its main feature is the capability to scan slides in their native
> magazine. Meaning you dont have to take the slides out of the magazine
> in order to scan it.
> Batch scanning should be easily possible.
> External interfaces are USB2 and Firewire.

Good -- Firewire means that it probably uses a SCSI protocol over
SBP2.

> Trying google, I didnt find many hits with sane and reflecta.
> So I guess, this scanner will not be supported and I have to use
> the program that comes with the package under M$.

Try writing to Reflecta, asking for the programming specs to be
released. Refer to SANE as THE platform-independent scanning solution
that has a wide user base in the UNIX world, and that there are a
large number of users who would buy this scanner if it had support
under UNIX. I did this with Nikon and it worked. It also helps if you
mention that many popular brands have released their specs (at least
to individuals), EPSON and Nikon for instance. It is OK to sign an NDA
as long as it allows you to distribute code under the GPL (this is the
case with Nikon -- the specs are confidential, but the code can be
GPL-d).

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net