[sane-devel] scanner flakiness in mandrake 9.x

Fri, 30 May 2003 16:27:31 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 08:54:04AM +0200, Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
> because it can be very dangerous to generally grant users access to
> generic SCSI-devices, this step must be performed manually.
> Unfortunately you only get a hint from sane-find-scanner about the
> permissions when running it as non-root. Maybe someone can add an
> additional hint when a SCSI-device was found.

You mean a hint if run as root and the scanner was found? I'd find
that quite confusing. §your scanner was found but if it is not found
as normal user ..."? But maybe I misunderstood.

> This should tell about the
> manual page of sane-scsi. There is described what you have figured out.

Adding that to the non-root phrase is a good diea, I think. What about:

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary. For details, see man sane-scsi and man sane-usb.