[sane-devel] HP Photosmart S20

Evilio del Rio Silvan evilio@vodafone.es
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:33:01 +0100

>Hi,
>
>On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 10:33:26AM +0100, Evilio del Rio Silvan wrote:
>

>>I have started a project to implement a backend for the HP Photosmart
>>S20xi.
>>

>Nice, one more supported scanner. Well, some time in the future, I
>hope :-)
>

>>You can find the project at SourceForge:
>>
>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/hps20xi/
>>

>I've added the scanner to the list of unsupported devices with a link
>to your site.
>
>Do you have some more information? E.g. do you know which kind of
>chipset is used by that scanner? Please get sane-backends 1.0.13 or a
>CVS version of sane and run sane-find-scanner. Is it able to detect
>the type of chip used by that scanner?

Nope, it only detects the scanner but nothing more:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0102) at libusb:001:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
can't be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
done

>Could you please show us the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"
>when the scanner is plugged in?

It's that:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=0102 Rev= 0.14
S:  Product=HP PhotoSmart C5101A - S20
S:  SerialNumber=C0166566
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbscanner
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=16ms

>Can you point to a page describing that scanner? Are there any similar
>scanners that may be also supported by your backend?

The present page is:

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/product.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&lc=en&plc=&pagetype=hpphotosma10698

But it's better to go to the HP homepage and make a search of the
product (C5101A) since the HP links change very often.
There seems to be two more related scanners:

    Photosmart S20xi (C7150A)
(I'm not sure the difference between thse two, I thought they were the
same and I named my project with th name of the scanner I do not own).
    Photosmart S10   (?, not listed by HP, but Windows driver installer
is for both S10 and S20).

 There is also the original HP Photosmart (C5100A) that is supported by
the sane-hp backend ant that it is has the same form and appearance than
the S20. But they work quite differently.

>> I have tried
>>also with a VMWare Windows guest on top of a Linux machine and the same
>>thing happens: there's no apparent USB activity from/to the scanner.
>>

>So the scanner works with vmware but you can't log anything? I don't
>know exactly how vmware accesses the USB, but I guess it at least uses
>the Linux ohci and uhci drivers. So if you enable debugging in that
>drivers, you should get a nice usb log.

Ok. I understand that I must set up the debug in the linux host kernel,
not the Vmware debug. I will remake the tests and tell you what I find.

Thanks for your answer and corrections.

Cheers,

    Evilio