[sane-devel] hp scanjet 2300c

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:56:58 +0200

Mirko Melis wrote:
 >     I've red that two person have begun to work at the driver for hp
 > 2300c in July. I've tried to contact them, but I don't have received any
 > answer. Then I've restarted the work. I've actived the site
 > http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ovunque-si/linux/ for logging my work.  But
 > I've encountered my first problem: I'm not able to run usb snoopy (or
 > better, Dbgview.exe) on my windows XP.
 > I've wrote to mark@sysinternal.com developer of debugview:
 >
 > I've downloaded today the last version of debugvieg, but once launched
 > it says:
 > "Unable to hook kernel debug prints.: La directory o il file è
 > danneggiato e illeggibile."
 > that, in english, sounds like:
 > "Unable to hook kernel debug prints.: The directory or the file is
 > damaged and not readable."
 > what means?
 > Thanks in advance.
 > Mirko Melis
 >
 > But I haven't received any answer: someone can help me?

The transfer protocol is more-or-less well-known and also used
in some form in several other scanners, see also my posts to
sane-devel on 7/4/2003.
The protocol uses USB packets to simulate a parallel port, over
which the scanner's internal registers can be accessed and bulk
data can be exchanged.
Some tools already exist to extract the useful information from
the (usually very big) USB logs.

Try to figure out the chipset of the scanner, this may require
opening it.

Also you need lots of USB logs for different types and scans,
with varying position/resolution/etc.

Kind regards,
Bertrik