[sane-devel] Real Fast Scanner!

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:53:36 +0200

Hi,

I'm cc'ing sane-devel because I'm not an expert for that scanner.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 01:04:59PM +0200, Wolfram Heider wrote:
> On 14.10.03 12:10:02 you wrote in reply to Florian Reichert:
> That scanner (i.e. Epson Perfection 1670) is not supported yet but it's being worked on.
>
> It seems to me there is a problem with the recognition of the USB chip. Sane-find-scanner
> produces a 'Couldn't determine the type of the USB chip'.

Well, nobody has written the code to detect that chip yet. That's not
really a problem. Lots of USB chips are not detected by
sane-find-scanner.

> No kernel driver works

Really? The USB kernel driver should be able to detect this scanner.
You may need to tell it the ids of the scanner, however:

rmmod scanner
modprobe scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x011f

The next version of the kernel scanner driver will detect the scanner
automatically.

> and running under libusb also fails.

How does it fail? If sane-find-scanner complains about the type of the
USB chip, accessing the scanner already worked.

> That looks like a lot of work. Do you have any idea how long it can
> last to get this model to be supported?

No, I'm not involved in supporting that scanner. But have a look at
the archive of the sane-devel mailing list. That scanner has been
mentioned several times during the last two weeks.