[sane-devel] Fwd: Nikon Coolscan II LS20

Franz Bakan Franz Bakan" <fbakan@gmx.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:13:55 +0100 (CET)

Hi list,

here a question/problem from a user of a Nikon LS20.
Perhaps someone can answer his questions.

>To: "sane-os2@yahoogroups.com" <sane-os2@yahoogroups.com>
>From: "Johannes Hromadka" <Johannes.Hromadka@gmx.net>
>Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:06:48 +0100 (MEZ)
>Subject: [sane-os2] Coolscan II ( To scan a dia.)

Nikon Coolscan II alias LS20 works fine with sane 1.0.5 and Tame

But I have some problems with this scanner and sane 1.0.12. Prescan aborts after some
bytes. Scan does not work too. I think there is a problem with the SCSI commands sent
by the backend.

I use ASPI 1.1beta9 and tried with two different SCSI adapters, NCR810 and Adaptec
2940. 1.0.5 works fine with both adapters but 1.0.12 and 1.0.11 make troubles.

The reason I would like to switch from 1.0.5 to a newer sane version is because of the
limit in the length of the parameters that can be passed to scanimage. With Tame
1.0beta I sometimes exceed 540 characters, which causes scanimage to fail.

So my questions to the experts:

Where should I trace to find the reason for coolscan not working with sane 1.0.12?

How can I overcome the length limit of the parameters. Is it a limit of scanimage or
libsane.dll?

Do sane 1.0.12 or the coming version 1.0.13 have the same limit?

   Ciao,  Hannes

A question from my side:

Is it correct that coolscan  and not coolscan2 has to be used with the LS20?

Bye
Franz