[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 4100C - assertion failed

Yves Martin ymartin59 at free.fr
Thu Oct 9 08:14:52 BST 2003

   Hello,

 I'm trying to use my usb scanner 4100C to my Linux - vanilla 2.4.21
 with some patches (software suspend, ACPI, ntfs, supermount)
 I have checked that the USB scanner module is available.

 When I connect my scanner, it appears in /proc/bus/usb/devices and the
 'scanner' driver in /proc/bus/usb/drivers. I'm using devfs and devusbfs.

 I have libusb 1.6a (from Mandrake 9.1), I have compiled sane-backends
 from sources 1.0.12 in /usr/local and my /usr/local/etc/sane/hp.conf
 contains  "usb 0x03f0 0x0101"
 [ I have removed packages with old sane backends from Mdk 9.1 to avoid
   conflicts ]

 So I ran sane-find-scanner:
checking /dev/usb/scanner0... open ok, vendor and product ids were identified
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0101) at /dev/usb/scanner0

 Then scanimage -L  aborts with the message:
scanimage: hp-option.c:3661: hp_optset_fix_geometry_options: Assertion `tl_x &&
tl_y && br_x && br_y' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

 The first run of scanimage is fast - and core dumped. The second run is really,
 really slow - but core dumped too with the same message.
 Then the device does not appear any longer:
 /dev/usb/scanner0 does not exist ?? connect/disconnect changes nothing ??
 I have to reboot my Linux to get back the device !!

 What's wrong ? Do I have to patch something in my kernel ?

 In attachment, the complete scanimage -L stdout/sdterr with
 SANE_DEBUG_HP=17

 Thank you in advance for your help
--
Yves Martin