[sane-devel] epson es-600c parrallel configuration

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:03:35 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 07:17:41PM -0500, Phil Wirtz wrote:
> Hi , I am setting up an epson es-600c parrallel scanner with
> sane-backends-1.0.12, sane-frontends-1.0.11 on RH 7.3 os compiled with
> gcc3. I have it working as root and now need to get it working as user,
> per FAQ I need to suid something but it does not say what part of sane
> needs to be suided .

Well, it says "the application" has to be suid. Applications are the
programs you actually run (=frontends) like xsane, kooka, scanimage.

>  [none@localhost none]$ xscanimage
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.

[...]

GTK doesn't like to be run suid. And GTK is probably right. Usually
it's not a good idea to run big programs like the frontends as root.

> What do I have to do to get this working now and xsane working in the future

Either use a wrapper as mentioned somewhere in the GTK docs or use
saned and net like explained here for Mandrake:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/digitalimage/Scanning-as-Normal-User-on-Wierd-Scanner-Mini-HOWTO.txt