[sane-devel] Need recomendation linux/sane compat scanner w/ fast 2bit/greys

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:37:56 -0400 (EDT)

i must concur with garrick, fujitsu makes wonderfully beefy gear, except
for the 4010/4110/scansnap! models, their bottom end 'toy' scanners. these
seem flimsy and slow, and on the whole, cheap.

the 4120/4220 on the other hand, are absolutely wonderful, heavy, small,
welbuilt machines, with excellent paper feeds, even for heavy stock. we
now have quite a few of them in the field, each scanning a few hundred
sheets per day, and are quite happy with the performance. they are a bit
above consumer level, at ~900 bucks a pop.

sane support for them is 'basic' as i have not yet had a chance to finish
a re-write that fixes some duplex and other scanning issues. but for b+w
or grayscale simplex scanning, you should have no problems.

they have an ebay re-furb store, where they are ~550 bucks, but only a 90
day warantee.

allan