[sane-devel] Mustek BearPaw 4800TA ProII scanner

Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:26:01 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 04:37:33AM -0600, Cosmin Pop wrote:
>   Since then, I contacted Tom Wang (tom dot wang at mustek dot com dot tw)
> asking for info about my specific model. He kindly replied that Mustek will
> provide me the source code of the windows driver as a reference. I must sign
> a NDA (non disclosure agreement) and send it back to him.

Make sure that you can still provide the backend with a GPL license.
If the NDA disallows providing source code, better rethink if you want
to write a backend at all.

>   For now, I modified the file tools/check-usb-chip.c to test the chip for
> this scanner. I don't know for sure the chipset name (I didn't opened the
> case), but Henning suggested SQ1113.

SQ113 I think. But I don't own one of those scanners myself.

> Anyway, I don't think it is important
> at this stage... It is not entirely finished, as I got stuck at
> usb_set_configuration. It exits with an error code < 0 which leads to an
> error "  Couldn't set configuration: " <...something I can't remember...>.

Maybe you need write-access to /proc/bus/usb/something?

> I will post tomorrow the complete error message and the result from
> sane-find-scanner -v -v.

Ok. It would be also useful if you could setup a website with the
information what you have done sofar and all the information you have
about that scanner.

>   Does anyone know how long will it take? I never worked on a open source
> project so I can't set a deadline for this one. It's nothing
> urgent/important, but I need to set up a milestone for myself :)...

That really depends on the "intelligence" of the chipset and the
readability of the code. If it's a rather intelligent chip, the
minimum will be about 50-100 hours until the scanner scans anything.
If it's a dumb chip, it will take much longer.