[sane-devel] Permission problems with Kernel 2.6.4

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Thu Apr 15 14:24:37 BST 2004

Hi all!

Yesterday, I tried to scan on my laptop running Kernel 2.6.4 for the
first time. Some months ago with Kernel 2.4.x scanning was no
problem. Now that scanner.o disappeared and everything is based on
libusb there seem to be problems with permissions -- but I don't
know where. Here are some information:

System:
Debian Woody (with a little bit of Sarge and Sid)
Kernel 2.6.4
libusb-0.1-4   0.1.8-8
libsane        1.0.13-4
sane           1.0.11+cvs2004
sane-utils     1.0.13-4
xsane          0.92-2

(skull = Root)
skull:~# sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f, product=0x021d [USB Scanner],
chip=GT-6816) at libusb:002:003
[...]

skull:~# scanimage -L
device `gt68xx:libusb:002:003' is a Mustek BearPaw 2400 CU Plus
flatbed scanner

skull:~# ls -l /proc/bus/usb/002/003
-rw-rw----    1 root     scanner        50 Apr 15 11:37
/proc/bus/usb/002/003

skull:~# ls -l /dev/usb/scanner0
crw-rw----    1 root     scanner  180,  48 Mar 14  2002
/dev/usb/scanner0
(the same for all scanner*; but not relevant for libusb, right?)

chris at skull:~$mount
[...]
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

chris at skull:~$groups
chris disk cdrom audio staff scanner

chris at skull:~$sane-find-scanner
[...]
  # No USB scanners found. [...]

As Root everything works fine (xsane, too), so there must be a
permission problem as user. But AFAICS everything's ok with my
configuration. Did I overlook anything? -- TIA!

Best regards
--
Christoph Bier, Dipl.Oecotroph.

»Unix is very user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are.«
				       --Autor unbekannt