[sane-devel] EPSON PERFECTION 1670 scanner

remi.malatray remi.malatray at free.fr
Fri Apr 16 00:34:09 BST 2004

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere at teaser.fr>
Subject: Re: [sane-devel] EPSON PERFECTION 1670 scanner
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:40:28 +0200

> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 18:55, remi.malatray wrote:
>
> > Is there any chance we can get it to work with negatives with sane ?
>

> xsane can scan negatives, but I personnally have been disappointed with
> the results, even with a Nikon Coolscan III
> Negative scanning seems to be one of the weakness of XSane.
>
> If I'm wrong, please correct me.
>
> Hub

Thanks for your reply !

I thought that scanning negatives lead to better quality than with
positives on paper. As it's the first time I experiment such a device,
I have no particular opinion about that matter, but relying on you
looks pessimistic to me.

I don't know a thing about the Nikon Coolscan III, but the EPSON
PERFECTION 1670 photo has a specific convinience for scanning
negatives. Thought Sane has also specific options for that work, it
seems that this EPSON scanner needs specific commands to run that
stuff.

I think I understand what "basic support" means in the Sane
documentation. I find it a pity, as this scanner has the best
quality/cost ratio I found (correct me if I'm wrong). So my question
was simply is there a way we can move from "basic support" to
"complete support" one day ?  Or is it a really new product Sane
cannot hold in a complete way because there are a lot of improvements
to be made ?

If I can be of any help (?), just ask me.....