[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1640SU with ADF or Filmadapter

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:03:45 +0900

"Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@monet.no> writes:

> However, it looks like there maybe exist different versions of the
> Sane backends for this scanner, epson 0.2.42 and epkowa 1.5.2. I am
> not sure which version that is included in Sane 1.0.14.
>
> Can someone explain the differences for me and which version I
> possibly possibly should use and how?

Only the epson backend is included in sane-backends.  The epkowa
backend comes with "Image Scan! for Linux" which is available for
download at:

  http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/index.html

The backend should be usable with other frontends as well, but the
iscan frontend makes certain assumptions about the backend is it
talking to that may not hold for other backends.  That is, it only
works with the epkowa backend (in all likelihood).

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/