[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE 30 mystery solved

Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:51:08 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:24:51AM -0800, Christopher Marshall wrote:
> That's because the plustek backend looks in the current directory and if it finds a plustek.conf
> file there, uses it instead of the one in /etc or /usr/local/etc.  That really threw me for a
> loop.

All SANE configuration files are searched in the current directory
first.

> The man page for sane-plustek doesn't mention that it looks in the current directory for
> plustek.conf.

True. Most man pages contain something like this:

ENVIRONMENT
       SANE_CONFIG_DIR
              This environment variable specifies the list of
	      directories that may contain the configuration file.
	      Under UNIX, the directories are separated by a colon
	      (:'), under OS/2, they are separated by a semi-colon
	      (;').  If this variable is not set, the configuration
	      file is searched in two default directories: first, the
	      current working directory (".") and then in
	      /usr/local/etc/sane.d.  If the value of the environment
	      variable ends with the directory separator character,
	      then the default directories are searched after the
	      explicitly specified directories.  For example, setting
	      SANE_CONFIG_DIR to "/tmp/config:" would result in
	      directories "tmp/config", ".", and
	      "/usr/local/etc/sane.d" being searched (in this order).

I guess that should be added to sane-plustek.man. Also there is no
mention of "SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK".