[sane-devel] meaning of "--contrast" option to backend

Christopher Marshall christopherlmarshall@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:47:53 -0800 (PST)

I was just curious if specifying a contrast argument to the backend is different from doing a
default scan and adjusting the contrast in the gimp after the scan.

I would imagine that it does mean something different in that you would be setting the contrast
before the A/D step in the scanner if you specified such a parameter to the backend.  Using the
gimp afterward to adjust the contrast would introduce additional quantization noise (over and
above specifying it to the backend prior).

Am I right?  Or is the backend trying to save me an extra step (essentially a convienence
feature)?

Chris Marshall