[sane-devel] (resend) how to undo saved working directory?

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches@verizon.net
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:59:11 -0800

(Apologies if this gets posted twice.  I made the mistake of
subscribing an email address that is a forwarding service,
so I can't send from that address, so postings are blocked
for moderator review.  Apologies in advance if I make any
more breaches of list etiquette.)

When using the version of xsane that comes with Red Hat
Linux 9, which claims to be xsane-0.89, I find an
interesting feature.  Now, xsane remembers the "working
directory" from some earlier session and puts all the files
from --save mode there, rather than the _real_ working
directory where I'm working today.  I realize most
GUI-oriented users probably want all their image files
stored in one directory, and they start xsane from their
Gnome or KDE menus.  However, when I'm working in directory
Z and bring up xsane from the command line while in
directory Z, I want xsane to put the files in directory Z.
Tomorrow, I will be in another directory, and I want xsane
put the files there.

I found the "working directory" file squirreled away in file
~/.sane/xsane/xsane.rc, lines 5 and 6.  A quick wrapper
script in Perl could update the file to reflect the
directory from which I'm invoking xsane.  That would be much
easier than hacking the source code to the program to change
this unwelcome-to-me feature.

Is there a better and/or easier way to get xsane to use the
current working directory from which it is invoked?

Thanks.

Robert Riches
rm.riches@verizon.net