[sane-devel] [CanoScan5000f] Analyse of logs

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

> >Hmm, seems that these are some lookup-tables - IMHO could be ignored,
> >as long, as your "future" driver will do the same...
> >

> Ok. It means that SANE will take care of that? (Sorry not very familiar
> with SANE, and don't know what I have to do and what is already done.
> But apparently with this wonderful SANE project I have just to give my
> scanner's specifications (how the chipset works) isn't it ?

uh, no. he said you might be able to ignore it for NOW, but eventually,
you will likely have to send these packets to the scanner too.

you are writing a driver for a piece of hardware. YOU are SANE :)

> >>2) Others seems to be more interesting :
> >>
> >>Urb 16 (C) ep= (write) 3 ms
> >> 00000000: 44
> >> 00000000: 40 0c 88 00 00 00 01 00
> >>
> >>But are rare.
> >>

> >These are important -> register I/O
> >What's the chipset inside? looks like some genesys logic chipset!
> >

> Really ? sane-find-scanner -v -v doesn't find the chip's type, but if it
> is close to it, I would be pleased to have informations about that :)
> You can look at http://home.gna.org/canoscan5000f/sniff/ for other
> gzipped logs, i you want to verify that :)

open the scanner. look inside. post to this list the numbers and letters
on any large chips inside.

> >>- for 2) Are all these short orders all important ? And does "(write)"
> >>mean "data sent to scanner" and "(read)" data recieved mean "data read
> >>from scanner" ?
> >>

> >AFAIK - yes. Mostly something will be written to the scanner, to tell it, that
> >with the next read, data will be red.
> >

> AFAIK = ? (Sorry, I don't know enought english to know abbreviations
> (You must certainly already got it :)) ))
> Ok for that.

as far as i know.

> >>-for 3) If this is parf of scanning data, why do I find this type of §
> >>later too ? Does it correspond to a "flush" from scanner after having
> >>scanned a little part ?
> >>

> >What do you mean? I guess, that there will be some kind of calibration,
> >where you'll find image data too before scanning.
> >

> I was wondering if the image data could be sent in may times, or if as
> you suggest there is some calibration : indeed the Windows driver says :
> "lamp adjusment, please wait" or something like that in French :)

the windows driver likely reads some calibration info from the scanner,
then transmits one or more lookup tables to the scanner, (esp if it uses
jpeg compression, turn that off in windows if you can), then it reads the
image, perhaps a small piece at a time.

allan