[sane-devel] [CanoScan5000f] Analyse of logs

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:38:54 +0200

On Thursday 08 July 2004 17:18, Thibault North wrote:
> >:-))))))))))))))))))
>
> It hurts badly when reading them on a 75Hz screen :))
>
> >> 00000000: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0a 0b 0c 0d 0e 0f
> >> 00000010: 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1d 1e 1f
> >
> >Hmm, seems that these are some lookup-tables - IMHO could be ignored,
> >as long, as your "future" driver will do the same...
>
> Ok. It means that SANE will take care of that? (Sorry not very familiar
> with SANE, and don't know what I have to do and what is already done.
> But apparently with this wonderful SANE project I have just to give my
> scanner's specifications (how the chipset works) isn't it ?

No, no it's not that easy, you have to take care of that of course, because
you often need to load these values to internal scanner buffers. But the=20
register read/write stuff is more interesting, downloading some bytes to an
internal buffer is not the thing...

> >>2) Others seems to be more interesting :
> >>
> >>Urb 16 (C) ep=3D (write) 3 ms
> >> 00000000: 44
> >> 00000000: 40 0c 88 00 00 00 01 00
> >>
> >>But are rare.
> >
> >These are important -> register I/O
> >What's the chipset inside? looks like some genesys logic chipset!
>
> Really ? sane-find-scanner -v -v doesn't find the chip's type, but if it
> is close to it, I would be pleased to have informations about that :)
> You can look at http://home.gna.org/canoscan5000f/sniff/ for other
> gzipped logs, i you want to verify that :)

Well I can do this, but I'm not expert on that. In the end it reminds me of
the protocol of the Genesys Logic Parallel to USB bridge - see u12-io.c
And some stuff found in the experimental genesys backend...

Which version of sane-find-scanner did you use - the latest one also=20
checks for the 841, but it might not cover all incarnations. There is
also a GL842 and a 843 available - see:
http://www.genesyslogic.com/econtents/product01.asp?minicidx=3D3&lastcidx=
=3D18

> >>- for 2) Are all these short orders all important ? And does "(write)"
> >>mean "data sent to scanner" and "(read)" data recieved mean "data read
> >>from scanner" ?
> >
> >AFAIK - yes. Mostly something will be written to the scanner, to tell it,
> > that with the next read, data will be red.
>
> AFAIK =3D ? (Sorry, I don't know enought english to know abbreviations
> (You must certainly already got it :)) ))
> Ok for that.

=46or such stuff have a look at: http://www.acronymfinder.com/
;-)

> >>-for 3) If this is parf of scanning data, why do I find this type of =A7
> >>later too ? Does it correspond to a "flush" from scanner after having
> >>scanned a little part ?
> >
> >What do you mean? I guess, that there will be some kind of calibration,
> >where you'll find image data too before scanning.
>
> I was wondering if the image data could be sent in may times, or if as
> you suggest there is some calibration : indeed the Windows driver says :
> "lamp adjusment, please wait" or something like that in French :)

Simply waiting until the lamp is stable...
Anyway good luck
  Gerhard