[sane-devel] 'scanner busy' 'no devices found' etc.

Graeme Nichols gnichols@tpg.com.au
11 Jul 2004 16:03:30 +1000

Hello Folks, I have been happily using xsane to do my scanning for quite
a while. Now, for some inexplicable reason, when I start xsane it comes
up with 'no devices available' If I enter the command scanimage -d
epson:/dev/usb/scanner0' I get the error message 'scanner busy'. If I
run 'sane-find-scanner' it tell me that it found the following:-

sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x010c)
at device /dev/usb/scanner0. It is an Epson Perfection 640U.

And just to really confuse me, if I run Kooka, the KDE scanning
application which also uses sane, it works just fine.

I have checked out the archives and checked all my sane/xsane install
and can see no obvious problem.

My system is RH8 and the output of 'rpm -qa | grep sane' is as follows:-

[graeme@barney graeme]$ rpm -qa | grep sane
xsane-gimp-0.84-8
sane-backends-1.0.8-5
sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
xsane-0.84-8
sane-backends-devel-1.0.8-5

The only thing that I can think of that happened between the last time
xsane worked fine and now is I upgraded gnucash to 1.8.9 which resulted
in having to upgrade a slew of packages for perl etc. to enable
'update-finance-quote'. I cannot see how this could affect xsane but who
knows?

Any clues would be much appreciated.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

Okay ... I'm going home to write the "I HATE RUBIK's CUBE HANDBOOK FOR
DEAD CAT LOVERS" ...

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -