[sane-devel] Problems with SANE 1.0.13 and HP ScanJet 5300C

Thomas Rösch thomas.roesch@gmx.de
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:04:05 +0200

Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 19:54 schrieb Henning Meier-Geinitz:
> > I searched with Google and found many hints how to get a HP ScanJet 5300C
> > to work with SANE, but I was either too stupid to apply the hints or they
> > did not work at all.
>
> Having a look at the man page may also help :-)
Of course I also had a look in the man pages :-)

> Explanation: There is a Linux kernel driver ("hpusbscsi") that
> emulates a SCSI device. So you can just use your scanner as if it were
> a SCSI device. The driver sends the SCSI commands through the USB.
>
> That's the reason why the scan applications think that your scanner is
> a SCSI scanner.
>
> Have you actually tried to scan with scanimage as root?
Yes, it did not work.

> At least with sane 1.0.14 you can either use the hpusbscsi driver or
> direct USB access. If hpusbscsi doesn't work for you, rmmod that
> driver and try without.
I now installed sane 1.0.14 and unloaded the driver with rmmod hpusbscsi. Now
the scanner is also detected by scanimage -L!

Then I tried my first scan (with XSANE 0.92) and my scanner made a horrible
noise so I turned off the power. I tried to scan with scanimage >test.pnm,
but the same horrible noise let me turn off the power again.

It seemed that the lamp moved into the wrong direction and hit the border of
the scanner and hence caused this noise. Also the lamp flashed a lot (went on
and off over and over again).

Is this symptom known here and is there a solution?

Bye,
Thomas