[sane-devel] coolscan ls 4000 ED xsane default settings

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:52:38 +0100

> Since a week I'm experimenting with a nikon coolscan LS 4000 ED. Using
> sane, xsane xscanimage I find it realy difficult to get good scanning
> result concerning color. I'm scanning color slides (dia). I tried
> different settings, the automatic exposure etc. Unfortunatly without
> good result. So I gave up.
>
> I have general good succes with vuescan. So it is not the scanner.
> Therefor I'm looking for propper settings to use with the coolscan LS
> 4000 ED. Is there someone who would like to share?

The scanner requires proper colour balance and gamma settings. Colour
balance is usually achieved by doing an AE with WB (for slide film),
then you can adjust the exposure multiplier to fill the histogram as
efficiently as you can. Finally, adjust gamma to suit your
requirements. I use a gamma between 2 and 3 almost all the time, 2.4
is normal, higher values are useful for certain films such as Kodak
P1600.

This goes for all Coolscans, BTW, I guess VueScan just does some of
this automatically.

  Andras