[sane-devel] niash:libusb:002:005 failed: Device busy

Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:34:00 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:42:04PM +0200, insane@piments.com wrote:
> Nice post.
>
> Sadly this does not seem to help for all scanners.

You can't fix a problem that doesn't exist. As most scanners don't
return wrong lengths of string descriptors, that workaround is just
not necessary for most scanners.

> I did the change you suggested , recomp, reboot and my scanner locks up
> just the same.

He suggested that workaround for niash users.

> Shame it did not do it for canoscan.

I thought you got timeouts, not EBUSY?

> I would suggest you look into the code a bit more seriously before
> suggesting it as a fix to be integrated into the kernel. You cant just
> hack code like that without looking at the consenquences. At least not if
> you expect to have a stable kernel.

That's true. As the kernel has conatined the code that is proposed
here earlier, it doesn't seem to be that far off. Maybe a more
intelligent way is needed, e.g. inspect the contents of tbuf[0] and if
it's invalid, use 255.

> Maybe that is why devs at that have not done it yet. The evenual code fix
> will need to be more thorough.

As far as I can see the proposed code does actually fix the problem
for niash users. It may not be good enough for general use but that
shouldn't stop niash users from trying it.