[sane-devel] Problems compiling on RH9 with gimp2

Laurent-jan Dullaart ljm@xs4all.nl
Sun, 2 May 2004 14:56:22 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade to gimp2. I installed everything from RPM's, except
sane and xsane.

On a clean RH9 installation (workstation), I had to install the following to
get GIMP2 working:

aalib-1.4.0-5.1.fc1.fr.i386.rpm
atk-devel-1.2.0-2.i386.rpm
exif-0.5-1.i386.rpm
fontconfig-2.2.1-6.1.i386.rpm
fontconfig-devel-2.2.1-6.1.i386.rpm
freetype-devel-2.1.3-6.i386.rpm
freetype-utils-2.1.3-6.i386.rpm
gimp-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
gimp-devel-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
glib2-devel-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
gtk2-2.2.4-5.1.i386.rpm
gtk2-devel-2.2.4-5.1.i386.rpm
gtk+-devel-1.2.10-25.i386.rpm
lcms-1.10-1.i386.rpm
libcroco-0.3.0-1.i386.rpm
libexif-0.5.12-1.fr.i386.rpm
libexif-0.5.8-1.i386.rpm
libexif-devel-0.5.12-1.fr.i386.rpm
liblcms-1.12-2.i386.rpm
pango-devel-1.2.1-3.i386.rpm
pkgconfig-0.14.0-3.i386.rpm
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm

This should give sufficient version-information .

Sane-backends: no problems.

sane-frontends cannot be compiled; configure complains:

gimp.h not found.
The RPM from Gimp.org puts it in: /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/gimp.h
As a quick & dirty solution, I tried:
ln -s /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp/ /usr/include/libgimp/
did not help: configure complains a lot about syntax-errors and othe includes
are not found (libgimpcolor/gimpcolor.h,
libgimpmath/gimpmath.h, libgimpbase/gimpbase.h)

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined reference to `FT_Get_BDF_Property'
This could be a fontconfig-problem, but all he RPM's installed without
problem.

Xsane:
Same GTK-problem.
Xsane, however compiles, but not as GIMP-plugin.
Starting xsane gives the license-agreement (which I accepted). Next is the
small window "Scanning for devices".  Xsane hangs.
Next I commented out all the unused backends (i.e. everything but coolscan2
and umax). That worked.
Xsane still refuses to save as jpeg, tiff and others.

The gtk-errors may be a problem with incorrect RPM's that have nothing to do
with SANE. I'm looking into that. Still: the combination with gimp2 is not as
smooth as it should be.

ljm

--
(c) ljm ( xs4all)    No part of this copyright message may be
reproduced, read or seen, dead or alive or by any means, including