[sane-devel] "stop and go" and colour lines with epson 1250

Prakash K. Cheemplavam PrakashKC@gmx.de
Fri, 07 May 2004 16:06:00 +0200

Hi,

I am using sane-backends 1.0.14 with epson 1250 scanner and have
following problem:

When I try to scan with higher dpi (eg 600, but starts at 240dpi
already) the scanning process isn't done in one go. It is more like
scan-pause-scan-pause-scan-pause...etc. Not only the speed suffers by
this, but also the quality: Sometimes at the pause points i get
horizontal coloured lines which don't belong there. (using xsane)

I am using libusb 0.18 with 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 based kernel, but I tested an
old 2.6.0-test11 kernel on other hardware, as well, here with libusb and
scanner module and both at least show the "stop and go" symptom. (I
haven't checked image quality. (Tested with scanimage)

It seems xsane does more of that stop and goes than scanimage, but I
haven't thoroughly tested it.

As a check I tried to scan in windows and here there is no problem. The
scan is done in one shot, so it is fast and the quality is great here -
so it is not a hardware problem.

SO I wonder what the problemin Linux is. I don't remember correctly
whether I didn't have that problem with older sane-backends. Should I
try older plustek drivers? How can I easily do it?

Thanks,

Prakash