[sane-devel] saned refuses to reply

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:53:29 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 06:33:57PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> I tried running saned in standalone mode (after stopping inetd).  It
> immediately exists successfully (exit status 0).  That is:
>
>   # saned && echo OK
>   OK

That can't work. You'll get an error in syslog about a failing
getpeername command.

> Only when I run it with the -d flag do I get the output mentioned
> above.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong.
> # Upgrading to 1.0.15 is likely not an option ...

There haven't been any bugs in saned that stopped it from starting or
detecting the scanner for years so that's not the root of the problem.

Have you checked that saned is allowed to access your scanner? I.e. if
the device file (e.g. /proc/bus/usb/001/003) is writable by saned:saned?