[sane-devel] Re: In praise of 'sane-troubleshoot' ...

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:10:46 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 09:37:34PM +1200, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> Henning, I'm an admirer of 'sane-troubleshoot'.
>
> Working through it helped me isolate and work through problems
> to the point where sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L
> work - as root and user - and I can 'scanimage>image.pnm'
> successfully ... but xsane tells me 'no devices available'.

Probably beacuse youhave two installations of SANE on your system. One
is used by xsane and one by scanimage.

> One thing I'm not sure of is the correct place to put
> the epson backend directory. 'sane-troubleshoot'
> told me that the previous backend was old so I
> downloaded the latest one from
> http://www.khk.net/sane
> untarred  it in /home/adam and moved
> it to /usr/local/lib/backend but 'sane-troubleshoot'
> only found the one in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
> and could not find the scanner (which it had before
> I 'updated' the backend).

Those backend files need to be copied into the source code of SANE and
the source code must be built after that. I guess it's easier to use a
current CVS snapshot that already contains the newest backend.

bye,
  Henning