[sane-devel] SANE_Handle question

Paul paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:44:38 +0100

--=-QXjUhHAZchXguKpunTzh

> > I'm trying to implement using SANE within Scribus and I'm hitting a
> > small snag. While the majority of the API is really simple to use, I'm
> > having a problem with what SANE_Handle is.
>=20
> Its great to hear that Scribus will support Sane.

Still lots to do and a decision as to how much the support will be. Do I
have it so that the scanner scans the image and then let GIMP deal with
the rest or have a very basic area select mechanism? I'm happier to send
things to GIMP, but then I'm lazy ;-p

> > There are plenty of functions which require SANE_Handle, but nothing
> > which actually sets it!
>=20
> Well, there is a function which sets a SANE_Handle variable:
>=20
> SANE_Status sane_open (SANE_String_Const name, SANE_Handle * h);
>=20
> But it's easy to miss (or forget) this function while reading the docs=20
> -- that could have had easily happened for me too ;)

Actually, I didn't miss it, just it didn't register with me for some
reason. I'm guessing that I spend way too much time doing C++ and C#
now.

> > How should I set the handle? For instance, when I obtain the device
> > list, I have two show for my USB webcam and one for my scanner. I have
> > to be able to set the handle to the scanner. Is it enough to set the
> > handle to the device name or should it be set to the physical /dev/sg0
> > value (which is not a good idea!)
>=20
> call sane_get_devices, and use the field SANE_Device.name from the=20
> elements of device_list as the first parameter in the of call sane_open.=20
>   Using something like '/dev/sg0' will not work, because Sane does not=20
> know in this case, which backend should be used; 'mustek:/dev/sg0' might=20
> work.=20

I'll give it a spin and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips. I have no doubt I'll be back to ask for more...

TTFN

Paul
--=20
Homer: Donut?=20
Lisa: No, thanks. Do you have any fruit?=20
Homer: This has purple stuff inside. Purple is a fruit.

--=-QXjUhHAZchXguKpunTzh

--=-QXjUhHAZchXguKpunTzh--