[sane-devel] canon_pp on FreeBSD 5-STABLE

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:03:37 +1000

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 08:47:46PM +1200, Rob Pollock wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> I am trying to set up my scanner to work via my old laptop on which I
> have installed
> FreeBSD 5-STABLE (started with 5.3, then cvsuped source and rebuilt).
>
> I am running sane-backends 1.0.15 and trying to get it to work with a canon 640P
> scanner.
>
> This is what I get when I run scanimage (as root btw)

Good good.. non-root parport access isn't really supported on FreeBSD.

> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of canon_pp to 4.
[more stuff]
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
> [canon_pp] >> sane_exit
> [canon_pp] << sane_exit
>
> This is very strange, it's exactly the same as when the device isn't
> plugged in (and it _is_ plugged in, I checked), or in fact when it
> isn't even connected to the parallel port.

Could you set the debug a bit higher for me (say, 200)?  I have a
feeling I know what it will say (just a bunch of timeouts), but it might
be worth trying

> The port/scanner itself works fine, under Windows no problemo.  The
> settings from Windows' device manager are:
> ECP printer port; IRQ 07; I/O 0x0378-0x037B; DMA 0
>
> dmesg under FreeBSD shows:
>
> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode

Unfortunately the ppc interface doesn't do what libieee1284 needs, so it
resorts to direct io port access (via /dev/io).  That's why you're
seeing the three ports.  I lied above.. you can use it as non-root by
modifying the permissions on that file.

> libieee1284 is installed, if you run the test utility you get:
>
> Found 3 ports:
>   0x278:
>   0x378:
>   0x3bc:
> Anyway, I am really quite keen to get this working, anyone able to help out??

Try specifying the port that you know you have (0x378) in your
canon_pp.conf file, that makes the driver default to trying that port
first.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what might be wrong.  The libieee1284
FreeBSD support was written a while back and I've never been very happy
with it.  I think it requires the time of a more knowledgable FreeBSD
person than myself.

> Thanks heaps,
>
> Rob Pollock.

Cheers,